Tuesday, September 15, 2009

006 - The Jacket

Director: John Maybury
Year: 2005

I went to see The Jacket thinking it was a war film about a soldier who basically went crazy. I did not know too much going into this film. Boy was I wrong... sort of.

The film follows, Jack Starks, a Gulf War vet who is shot in the head, as he adjusts to life after the war. Jack suffers from amnesia and finds himself accused of murdering a police officer which lands him in a mental institution. At the institution, Jack becomes the subject of experimental drugs that allow his mind to travel into the future. In the future, Jack discovers that he is to die in four days and is from then on determined to find out how he dies.

I was expecting a war movie with one of my favorite actors (Adrien Brody). What I got was a battle between a man and his mind, a love story, a mystery, drama, and time travel. I am not really sure what all to say about that fact. I loved the film in theaters, and every time I watch it I sit there and wonder. Starks finds out he dies by letting his mind time travel while he is in a morgue drawer. It sounds like the craziest thing ever, but in the end the film is amazing and quite moving. Check it out.

John Maybury's THE JACKET (2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment